Ignition Relay Diagram 84 Dodge

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My manauls don't seem to tell the right location for the starte relay on the 78. They state on the left side of the firewall but there isn't one there.

So where the heck is it?

It's this kind:

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I finally found it.. hiding under the brake booster.

Darned old 1970's USA made auto parts... only lasting 35 years! :gr_patrio

It looks like the original. The ground connect broke off trying to pull it loose. Needle nose pliers got the blade out of the plastic connector fine. It had stuff rattling inside like grit so I decided to open it up... since I'm going to try replacing it without testing it since the symptoms point to it.. and it's so old.

Key turned to "on"... proper gauges and all lit up (oil, brake)... battery solenoid (to isolate the house batteries from starting battery) was clicking on properly so it didn't seem to be a battery problem... especially since using my battery charger/engine starter also didn't help.

The starter is only a year old so that isn't suspect. When turned to start, the battery voltage didn't drop any like it was pulling power to the starter but not turning. It could be the neutral safety switch but I'll try this first since the transmission was rebuilt in 2011 and may have gotten a new one then.

Here's a couple pics of what I found inside... plus one before I opened it. That pile of junk is rust particles!

  • Auto part Metal

    89.6 KB Views: 151

  • Switch Machine

    123.5 KB Views: 88

  • Electronic component Inductor

    89.8 KB Views: 84

Joined

·

3,120 Posts

Um, I think you've found a problem! :)

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The new one I got from OReilly (BWD S109 - made in India - pictured above) doesn't even come with the nuts!

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Okay seriously? That didn't fix the problem.

Ok guys.. I need some help. What should I check next to fix this?

- Battery is (apparently) good (Tested with engine starter hooked to battery, no dice)
- Accessories, turn signals, etc power up when key is turned
- Starter does nothing (no clicking from low voltage, no grinding, nothing..)

I guess I will be out there tomorrow checking all of the wires between the battery, starter relay and starter motor. There isn't MUCH to it.. and it was working only a couple of weeks ago... but it would help if I had something specific to look for.

Joined

·

3,120 Posts

Ok guys.. I need some help. What should I check next to fix this?

- Battery is (apparently) good (Tested with engine starter hooked to battery, no dice)
- Accessories, turn signals, etc power up when key is turned
- Starter does nothing (no clicking from low voltage, no grinding, nothing..)

The neutral safety switch perhaps?

97B2500CCV

Joined

·

1,288 Posts

Check for power to the small wire at the starter when the key is turned to start position. If voltage to that wire on command and battery power to the main wire then you have a starter problem. Unless you installed a new starter it could very well be a failed starter.

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Okay.. it was a false alarm. The "hot" wire blade connector was pushed out from the harness when I installed it. I took a peak in and saw it there dangling loose. :ugh

At least it didn't cross with anything grounded and create fireworks and crispy wires. I'm a stickler for disconnecting the battery when messing with wiring thankfully. So much so, I should get one of those "easy" disconnect terminals for negative.

After fixing it back in securely, it's now working just fine. It fired right up... then stalled after about 5 seconds. Good ol' carburetors! :D

Thanks for the fast responses guys! :rck:

Joined

·

3,120 Posts

Cubey

Joined

·

655 Posts

Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Oh and I know now... my van lacks EGR. The harness for the relay lacks the wire for EGR.

Posted by: althaalthamikeselles0250791.blogspot.com

Source: https://www.dodgetalk.com/threads/starter-relay-location.373618/